- Controlling blood sugar is important for athletes seeking peak performance as it helps to balance energy levels.
- Carbo-loading is a fueling method of the past.
- Blood sugar affects multiple different hormones, especially your cortisol response.
- SportFuel recommends athletes prioritize snacks that stabilize their blood sugar around training.
Step into your own power by taking control over your health. Through personalized pro athlete diet plans that dial in on your metabolic health, NHL dietician and SportFuel CEO Julie Burns discusses the importance of mindfully consuming real, whole foods to control blood sugar levels. Adjusting your intake of protein, fats, and carbohydrates according to the unique needs of your body can create a metabolism boost and blood sugar balance, directly improving your sleep and body composition so that you can achieve your athletic goal of peak performance.
Blood sugar balancing snacks
- SportFuel Bar
- Almond cherry UCAN Bar
- Paleovalley Turkey and beef sticks
- Lettuce wrap with turkey and lined with smashed avocado
- Handful of almonds or pumpkin seeds
More snack ideas in the SportFuel® Grocery Guide.
About Julie Burns
Julie Burns is the Founder of SportFuel, Inc., an integrative sports nutrition and wellness consulting firm. She has provided team nutrition services to the Chicago Blackhawks for nearly 30 years, and works individually with athletes who compete in the NFL, MLB, NBA, Olympics, and other elite sports teams. After seeing firsthand that a one-size-fits-all approach is ineffective, Julie developed a highly personalized program that blends integrative nutrition with lifestyle medicine to help clients discover their maximum potential.