Maple Roasted Carrot Salad
This maple roasted carrot salad from Ina Garten is a little extra work but definitely worth the burst of fall flavors just in time for the holidays!
Serves 4 as an entrée or 6 as a side dish
-2 pounds carrots (with leafy tops)
-organic, cold-pressed olive oil
-sea salt and fresh ground pepper
-¼ cup pure maple syrup
-⅔ cup unsweetened dried cranberries
-⅔ cup fresh orange juice
-3 T sherry wine vinegar
-2 garlic cloves, grated with a microplane or diced very finely
-6 ounces organic baby arugula
-6 ounces goat cheese
-⅔ cup roasted and salted Marcona almonds
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Prepare the carrots by trimming and scrubbing. If the carrots are more than 1 inch in diameter, cut in half lengthwise. Cut all carrots in large diagonal slices, 1 inch wide x 2 inches long (they shrink quite a bit when they roast).
3. Place in a medium bowl with ¼ cup olive oil, 1 t sea salt and ½ t pepper.
4. Toss well and transfer to two sheet pans lined with unbleached parchment paper. If you overcrowd your roasting pan, the veggies will steam and not roast. Roast for 20 minutes, tossing once, until the carrots are tender.
5. Transfer all carrots to one sheet pan, add the maple syrup, toss, and roast for 10-15 minutes until caramelized. Remove from the oven and set aside.
6. Meanwhile, combine the cranberries and orange juice in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer, then turn off the heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
7. In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, garlic, and ½ tsp salt. Whisk in 3 Tbsp of olive oil.
8. Place arugula in a large bowl and add the carrots, cranberries (with the liquid), goat cheese, almonds, and the vinaigrette. Toss and season to taste with salt and pepper.
9. Serve at room temp.